Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Wagga Wagga City Council (1946-)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Wagga Wagga Borough Council (1870-1946)
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Following a petition signed by 104 landholders in the town of Wagga Wagga, a Municipality was proclaimed on 15 March 1870 by the NSW Governor under the Municipalities Act, 1867, to be called the Borough of Wagga Wagga.
The Borough was divided into three Wards, with each Ward to be represented by three Aldermen on the newly formed Council:
North Ward (on the northern side of the Murrumbidgee River);
South Ward (on the southern side of the Murrumbidgee River, with Forsyth Street as its southern border); and
East Ward (with Forsyth Street as its northern border and Docker Street as its western border).
(A Central Ward was created on [17 January 1890?], which was bounded by Gurwood, Docker, Forsyth and Tarcutta Streets).
The first election was held on 16 June 1870, with nine men of Wagga Wagga elected to serve on the first Municipal Council. George Forsyth was elected as Mayor.
The City of Wagga Wagga was proclaimed on 17 April 1946, under the Local Government Act, 1919.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Authority Record created 30 July 2019. S Wolfe.
NSW Government Gazette, 15 March 1870.
Wagga Wagga Advertiser, 18 June 1870.
NSW Government Gazette, 17 April 1946.