- 1870-1976 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
5.47m; 62 volumes
Name of creator
Following a petition signed by 104 landholders in the town of Wagga Wagga, a Municipality was proclaimed on 15 March 1870 by the NSW Governor under the Municipalities Act, 1867, to be called the Borough of Wagga Wagga.
The Borough was divided into three Wards, with each Ward to be represented by three Aldermen on the newly formed Council:
North Ward (on the northern side of the Murrumbidgee River);
South Ward (on the southern side of the Murrumbidgee River, with Forsyth Street as its southern border); and
East Ward (with Forsyth Street as its northern border and Docker Street as its western border).
(A Central Ward was created on [17 January 1890?], which was bounded by Gurwood, Docker, Forsyth and Tarcutta Streets).
The first election was held on 16 June 1870, with nine men of Wagga Wagga elected to serve on the first Municipal Council. George Forsyth was elected as Mayor.
The City of Wagga Wagga was proclaimed on 17 April 1946, under the Local Government Act, 1919.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Minute Books of the Wagga Wagga Municipal Council and the Wagga Wagga City Council.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
OPEN to public access.
A Reader’s Ticket issued by the State Archives and Records Authority of NSW is required to access original state archives and can be issued immediately upon production of identification. More information
Conditions governing reproduction
The reproducing and publishing of state archives is governed by the State Archives and Records Authority of NSW. More information
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Minute Books No. 1 to 24 (1870-1928) were digitised in 2020 courtesy of a grant from the Wagga Wagga City Council.