- 1966-1990 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.72m; 4 type one boxes
Name of creator
Alderman of Wagga Wagga City Council
Name of creator
Following a petition signed by 104 landholders in the town of Wagga Wagga, a Municipality was proclaimed on 15 March 1870 by the NSW Governor under the Municipalities Act, 1867, to be called the Borough of Wagga Wagga.
The Borough was divided into three Wards, with each Ward to be represented by three Aldermen on the newly formed Council:
North Ward (on the northern side of the Murrumbidgee River);
South Ward (on the southern side of the Murrumbidgee River, with Forsyth Street as its southern border); and
East Ward (with Forsyth Street as its northern border and Docker Street as its western border).
(A Central Ward was created on [17 January 1890?], which was bounded by Gurwood, Docker, Forsyth and Tarcutta Streets).
The first election was held on 16 June 1870, with nine men of Wagga Wagga elected to serve on the first Municipal Council. George Forsyth was elected as Mayor.
The City of Wagga Wagga was proclaimed on 17 April 1946, under the Local Government Act, 1919.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Subject files created during Harold Fife's time as Alderman on the Wagga Wagga City Council.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
OPEN to public access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Items in this collection may be protected by copyright. Contact the Reference Archivist for more information.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
An accession list is available. Click on 'Download Accession List' above to view.