Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Wagga Wagga Base Hospital
Parallel form(s) of name
- Wagga Wagga District Hospital
- Wagga Wagga Rural Referral Hospital
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
1856 - present
Wagga Wagga District Hospital opened on 1 July 1856 and was situated in a slab cottage on the sandhill in Kincaid Street. In 1859, land was granted to the Hospital Committee to erect a new building on the corner of Tarcutta and Johnston Streets. By 1900, the hospital had outgrown this land and looked to rebuild on the edge of the township. In 1910 the hospital opened on its new site at the corner of Edward Street and Albury Road (later, Docker Street). In 1938 the name of the hospital changed to the Wagga Wagga Base Hospital.
In 2016 it was briefly named the Wagga Wagga Rural Referral Hospital before once again becoming the Wagga Wagga Base Hospital in February 2018.
Wagga Wagga, NSW.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Authority Record created 5 October 2018. J Kohlhagen.
'A Delicate Balance: a history of the Wagga Wagga Base Hospital' by Sherry Morris (1988).