Collection 453 - Tarcutta Central School and Westbrook Public School

Open original Digital object

Identity area

Reference code

SA 453

Title

Tarcutta Central School and Westbrook Public School

Date(s)

  • 1912-1971 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

3 items

Name of creator

(August 1873 -)

Biographical history

Tarcutta Upper Half-time School opened August 1873 and became a Provisional School in September 1880. Provisional Schools were opened in areas of smaller populations where insufficient children attended to justify the opening of a full public school. By 1880 fifteen students were required to maintain a provisional school. Usually the Department of Public Instruction supplied the teacher, books and other teaching materials and the parents provided the premises for the School.

In December 1881 the School was converted into a public school. A Public School was a basic elementary school in the New South Wales education system. An attendance of twenty children was required to maintain a school of this classification in 1880. The expenses of conducting the school were borne by the Government.

In 1912 the School was re-named Tarcutta Public School. The Tarcutta School became a Central School in 1948. Central Schools contained both primary and secondary departments and accepted pupils from other towns in the vicinity as secondary students. They covered a syllabus similar to high schools and were a characteristic in towns too small to support a high school.

The Tarcutta Central School resumed its status as a Public School in January 1972. In 2005 the School was described as follows, "Tarcutta Public School is a three teacher rural school situated 45 km east of Wagga Wagga on the Hume Highway. ... The school services the Tarcutta and Kyeamba communities for a radius of 30km, with fifty per cent of students coming from the Tarcutta township.

References:
NSW State Archives, Agency 4879: https://records-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/f/1ebnd1l/ORGANISATIONS1004341

Name of creator

(July 1907 - March 1969)

Biographical history

In July 1907 Westbrook Public School was Half-time with Taradale School before becoming a Provisional School in February 1909. In January 1928 it became Half-time with Bago Lower School, then a Provisional School again in March 1938 and finally a Public School in November 1957 until March 1969.

Archival history

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Westbrook Public School register of admission, progress and withdrawal and Tarcutta Central School register of admission, progress and withdrawal and student sketch book.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

OPEN to public access (Access Direction No. 275).

A Reader’s Ticket issued by the State Archives and Records Authority of NSW is required to access original state archives and can be issued immediately upon production of identification. More information

Conditions governing reproduction

The reproducing and publishing of state archives is governed by the State Archives and Records Authority of NSW. More information

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

An accession list is available. Click on 'Download Accession List' above to view.

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places