- 1956-1972 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.025m; 1 volume
Name of creator
Cowabbie West Provisional School, in the County of Bourke, was opened in January 1956. It was converted to a Public School in November 1957. The School closed in December 1972. (1)
The basic elementary schools in the New South Wales education system, were known as Public Schools from 1867. Originally the attendance of thirty children was required for the establishment of a school, but this was reduced to twenty-five in 1867 and twenty in 1880; in 1957, when Provisional Schools were converted to Public Schools, the minimum figure was reduced to nine. (2)
Provisional Schools were first established in 1867 in areas where at least fifteen children, but fewer than the twenty-five required for a Public School, could be expected to attend. In the 1880s the minimum number was reduced to twelve; from 1898 the minimum was ten, and from 1945 it was nine. (3)
- Government Schools of New South Wales 1848-2003, NSW Department of Education and Training, 2003, p.52.
- ibid., p.18.
- ibid., p.17.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
OPEN to public access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Items in this collection may be protected by copyright. Contact the Reference Archivist for more information.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
An accession list is available. Click on 'Download Accession List' above to view.