The Riverine Grazier, Hay

Identity area

Type of entity

Business

Authorized form of name

The Riverine Grazier, Hay

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

29 October 1873 -

History

The first issue of the The Riverine Grazier was on October 29, 1873. The paper was published every Wednesday and could be subscribed to for £1 per year. It contained agricultural information, news and advertisements for goods and services in the area.

Its founder was John Andrew, and was purchased in 1888 by James Ashton M.L.C. (previously a compositor with the Hay Standard then a clerk with Cramsie, Bowden and Co.) and John Johnston O.B.E. (ca.1864 – 29 October 1939) who was previously an accountant with Cobb and Co. then branch manager for the Equitable Assurance Company, of New Zealand.

In 1902 it moved to new premises opposite Tattersall's Hotel, Hay, and shortly afterwards purchased and incorporated the Riverina Times (previously the Hay Standard).

The Grazier has found homes in Lachlan and Bank Streets, before moving to Moore Street in 1981. In 2000 The paper returned to Lachlan Street, to it's present position, almost opposite it's former location.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Agency468

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Authority Record created 6 September 2019. S Wolfe.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places