- 1968-1968 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Rocky Plain began as a Provisional School in June 1883 until December 1883 before becoming a Public School in January 1884 until December 1891. It then joined with Kalkite to become a Half-time School in January 1892 and operated as such until April 1898. Rocky Plain Provisional School in the County of Wallace was re-established in October 1902 and held this status until July 1905. Provisional Schools were opened in areas of smaller populations where insufficient children attended to justify the opening of a full public school. By 1902 ten students were required to maintain a provisional school. Usually the Department of Public Instruction supplied the teacher, books and other teaching materials and the parents provided the premises for the School. The School was reduced to a Half-Time School in August 1905 sharing a teacher with Kalkite Half-Time School. Half-Time Schools were elementary schools for children in areas of scattered population. The attendance of at least sixteen children was required, in two groups of ten or more who assembled at teaching stations and were taught by an itinerant teacher. The School remained in this status until December 1908. Early in 1909 the School was restored to Provisional School status. It was renamed Rocky Plains Provisional School in about 1910, retaining the Provisional School status until April 1914. By October 1914 the School had again been reduced to Half-Time status, this time sharing a teacher with Hugundra Half-Time School until September 1915 and with Sunnyrise Half Time School from September 1915 until June 1916 when the School closed.
Rocky Plains Provisional School was re-established in August 1924. Provisional Schools were opened in areas of smaller populations where insufficient children attended to justify the opening of a full public school. By 1924 ten students were required to maintain a provisional school. Usually the Department of Public Instruction supplied the teacher, books and other teaching materials and the parents provided the premises for the School. The School closed in December 1952.
Rocky Plains Public School in the County of Wallace was established in January 1968. A Public School was a basic elementary school in the New South Wales education system. An attendance of nine children was required to maintain a school of this classification in 1968. The expenses of conducting the school were borne by the Government. Rocky Plains Public School closed in December 1969.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Register of admission, progress and withdrawal.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
OPEN to public access (Access Direction No. 275).
A Reader’s Ticket issued by the State Archives and Records Authority of NSW is required to access original state archives and can be issued immediately upon production of identification. More information
Conditions governing reproduction
The reproducing and publishing of state archives is governed by the State Archives and Records Authority of NSW. More information
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
An accession list is available. Click on 'Download Accession List' above to view.