- 1917-1969 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Kitchener Provisional School, in the County of Hume, opened in February 1917. (1) The School was re-named Glossop Provisional School in May of that year, probably because a school of the same name had also been opened that year in the County of Northumberland. Provisional schools were established in areas where the school population was too small to support a full public school. By 1917 ten pupils were required for the commencement of a provisional school. Usually the Department of Education provided the teacher, books and other teaching materials and the parents made arrangements for the school building. (2)
The school classification 'provisional school' was discontinued in 1957 and in November 1957 the remaining provisional schools with nine or more students, including the School at Glossop, were converted to Public Schools. Public schools were basic elementary schools in the New South Wales system of education. (3)
Glossop Public School closed in April 1969. (4)
- Government Schools of New South Wales, NSW Department of Education and Training, 2003, p.68.
- ibid., p.17.
- ibid., p.18.
- ibid., p.68.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Observation books, punishment register, register of admission, progress and withdrawal and visitors' book.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
OPEN to public access (Access Direction No. 275).
A Reader’s Ticket issued by the State Archives and Records Authority of NSW is required to access original state archives and can be issued immediately upon production of identification. More information
Conditions governing reproduction
The reproducing and publishing of state archives is governed by the State Archives and Records Authority of NSW. More information
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
An accession list is available. Click on 'Download Accession List' above to view.