- 1833 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.28m; 1 type one box, 1 rolled plan box
Name of creator
Charles Sturt University was established by the Charles Sturt University Act, 1989 (Act No.76, 1989), which was proclaimed on the 19 July 1989 (1). The Act brought together the Mitchell College of Advanced Education and the Riverina-Murray Institute of Higher Education (2).
The University was created as a federated network University with semi-independent member campuses and a central administration (3).
The Charles Sturt University Amendment Act, 1998 (No.117, 1998) encapsulated in legislation the structure of the University, namely, an integrated, multi-campus structure in which the major academic units, the Faculties, are represented on at least three campuses of the University and the administrative divisions to have University-wide responsibilities (4).
As required by the Act, the University operates main campuses at Albury-Wodonga, Bathurst, Dubbo and Wagga Wagga. The University also operates from other locations including the City of Sydney, Manly, Goulburn, Canberra, Morpeth and Broken Hill. The University's headquarters is located at the Bathurst campus (5).
Footnotes and References:
(1) NSW Government Gazette, 14 July 1989, p.4202
(2) Charles Sturt University Undergraduate Handbook 2000.
(3) Op Cit
(4) Op Cit
(5) Op Cit
Agency History compiled by W. Doubleday.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Two volumes entitled, "Two Expeditions into the interior of Southern Australia during the years 1828, 1829, 1830 and 1831, with Observations on the soil, climate and general resources of the Colony of New South Wales" (1833), published Smith, Elder and Co. London. A sign re. the donation by Mr John and Mary Paul of "Bontharambo", Dockers Plains Pastoral Company, Wangaratta. 3 postcards depicting The Grange, Adelaide. 2 copies of "About Charles Sturt: catalogue of material relating to Charles Sturt held in the libraries of Charles Sturt University. 1 brochure on Charles Sturt. A small wooden plaque with Charles Sturt University coat of arms. Large white banner depicting Charles Sturt.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
OPEN to public access.